The original business in Waterford was started in 1849 by Lemuel Pursel and was located at the corner of Temperence and Main Street South. Later, this business was operated by Nelson Pursel who sold it in 1904 to the Wilcox Brothers, Frank and William. In 1908, J.B. Lindsay purchased the business, but a year later it was sold back to Frank Wilcox and it was then transferred to the furniture store which was located on 21 Alice Street in 1916.
In 1924, the Mott name was connected with the business; Lawrence D. Mott joined in a business relationship with Frank Wilcox and was known as Wilcox and Mott. The name of the business was again changed in 1927 when it was known as Mott Brothers, when Lawrence's brother Harry, joined him. In 1936 the funeral business was moved from the Alice Street store to its present location at 62 Main Street North. Later, on the death of Lawrence Mott in 1946, his son, William joined the firm. The name of Mott's was formed in 1955, when Harry and his son, Stanley joined in partnership. Stanley bought the business from his father in 1968.
In 1973 Stan sold the funeral home to Peter and Joan Thompson and the name was changed to Thompson-Mott as it is presently known. The funeral home suffered extensive damage in the tornado of 1979. Reconstruction followed at that time and then in 1983 the chapel was built to the south of the existing building. In 1992 Peter's daughter Jill joined the firm and in 2004 Jill purchased the funeral home from her parents.